Thank you Jesus. We made it through another season.
Here a few highlights and as you can tell by the photos the kids (all three!) are really enjoying soccer… I have 9 months to come up with a good excuse to not sign them up for next season.
Elise fits into Patrick’s soccer cleats from last season so now she insists on wearing them to all soccer games along with a pair of leggings to look like soccer socks. Look at the intensity on her face!
The temp was in the mid 90s, so we were all pretty miserable in the heat but with a constant intake of water and gatorade we were able to keep our spirits up enough to make it through all four games.
Michael really did well this season. This year it wasn’t just about controlling his body and keeping the rules straight, this year he played aggressive when he needed to and best of all stayed focused and in control of his body. This is a big win for a boy who struggles with SPD, and we are so proud of him
Michael played goalie twice this season. Twelve shots were made at the goal over the two times he was goalie and only one went in. He is really proud of this and we are too. He definitely shines while playing defence.
Patrick played 100% harder than he did last year, but there was a lot of room for improvement. I would say that he made an honest effort about 35% of time. The other 65% of the time was spent picking grass and running just enough to make it look like he was working.
And finally, a well deserved treat after a successful season.
more pics here
Project-cation just doesn’t have the same ring as Staycation. Tim would be the first to tell you it isn’t nearly as relaxing as Staycation either, but man did we get a lot done.
We left off with a trip to Minnehaha and an indulgent dinner out with Grandma and Grandpa Shannon. The next two days were packed full of projects and some major checking off of the to-do list. I was in project heaven and having Ruth by my side made the progress of the projects go that must faster.
Tim tackled the garage, while I was visiting my Mom on Wednesday morning. When I came back he had already taken a load of wood to the compost people to be turned into mulch (Reuse-Recycle people!) and had everything else stacked into piles of “find a place for it”, donate to Habit ReStore, get Meg’s permission to throw away and a “I will throw no matter what Meg thinks” pile.
I was shocked at the progress he made considering I didn’t know he was going to tackle the garage. We decided that the best thing to do would be to split up, so Tim continued working on the garage, Ruth and I started staining the million and two spindles on the deck and Jim was in charge of dealing with the boys (if they had an issue) and Elise was napping.
We stopped long enough to go to Michael’s soccer game that night and boy did he love having the extra-large cheering section.
The next day Tim finished up the garage and then started repairing what needed to be repaired on the deck. We finished staining the deck that day too, just in time for Patrick’s soccer game. I think Jim had the most fun watching the soccer game. It may be frustrating to watch but seeing Patrick play soccer is mighty entertaining.
Elise loves going to the soccer games. Sometimes she sits nicely and watches, sometimes she goes and plays with other kids who got dragged along to the games and sometimes Tim does this with her to keep her content.
To Ruth, Thank you for all your help. We couldn’t have gotten half of the projects we started and completed done with out your help!
More pics of the finished deck soon.
note: Elise’s birthday post is ready to go up. I just need to get some good recent photos of her so stay tuned. An Elise photo shoot is scheduled for this weekend.
Michael to an opposing team player, “your really good at the defenses that’s why we only have one goal. We did two good defenses but you still got 11 goals!”
On the ride home from the game I interrupted his snacking (some kind of oreo put it together yourself thing- again I say… sugar at 7pm, seriously?!) and asked him what his favorite part of soccer was.
His reply, “I like the part where we shake hands.”
He chews and licks out some of the icing out of the little icing well and adds, “And the food. I like the food.”
EDIT: Looking back, I had a much more positive outlook on Patrick and soccer at the beginning of the season. I guess 10 plus hours of sitting on the sidelines in the summer heat (not counting the hours of getting him ready for games, searching for shin guards, shorts, socks, jerseys and that damn soccer ball that is ALWAYS lost) encouraging my son to stand up has turned me slightly sour towards Patrick and Soccer.